Tag: 采花阁是真实的信息吗

New York’s malls see slow recovery after reopening

first_img Full Name* (Photo illustration by The Real Deal; iStock)When malls received the green light to reopen a month ago, it should have been a celebratory moment, given the owners of most shopping centers hadn’t let customers in for six months.But one month in, the results have been mixed. Malls have been trying to provide a sense of normalcy for both their shoppers and retailers, but they can operate at only 50 percent capacity, which has led to dramatic drops in foot traffic.“It’s a tough environment for retail,” said Callie Haines, executive vice president of asset management at Brookfield Properties.Brookfield Place in the Financial District has seen about 95 percent of its stores reopen, and the few that didn’t cited construction or staffing issues, according to Haines, who noted that some retailers at the mall have returned to the pre-Covid sales levels.ADVERTISEMENTAt the Shops & Restaurants at Hudson Yards, which opened last year with much fanfare, several retailers have closed. Neiman Marcus shuttered 16 months into its 50 year lease, a decision spurred by the company’s bankruptcy filing. Two of Thomas Keller’s restaurants, TAK Room and Bouchon Bakery, similarly pulled out in August.The mall saw its year-over-year foot traffic drop 87 percent in July and nearly 84 percent in August, according to Placer.ai data. It recovered slightly in September, with foot traffic at 62 percent of what it was a year prior. (While malls were closed until September, Placer tracks foot traffic to other businesses that were operable within or around them, such as big-box stores.)Still, a spokesperson for Hudson Yards said that retailers are seeing steadily rising sales. The mall has also welcomed new brands during the pandemic, including Goodlife, Levi’s and Sunglass Hut.“The future of fashion and retail at Hudson Yards remains bright,” a spokesperson said in a statement.A few blocks east of Hudson Yards, foot traffic at the Manhattan Mall in typically tourist-heavy Herald Square has been all but obliterated: In July and August, it was down by more than 90 percent, according to Placer.ai. It rebounded only slightly in September, but was down by 86 percent from the previous year.But some shopping centers have fared better; the Queens Center mall was at 53 percent of its foot traffic from the previous year.Individual retailers have also experienced financial problems that have impacted their ability to reopen. At the Atlantic Terminal Mall in Brooklyn, a Victoria’s Secret branch furloughed 47 employees, with a Department of Labor notice filed Sept. 4 citing unforeseeable business circumstances prompted by Covid-19. The location has since reopened, according to Madison International Realty, which owns the mall.Evan Walke, a portfolio manager at Madison International Realty, said that overall, that particular shopping center has bounced back, thanks in part to stores like Stop & Shop and Target, which remained open throughout the pandemic.In other regions of the state, where malls were allowed to open as part of phase 4, closures have been rampant.Le Tote, the parent company of Lord & Taylor, filed for bankruptcy in August and shut down four brick and mortar locations, letting go of 152 employees across its stores. All the locations were in shopping malls in other parts of New York, according to the Department of Labor filings.In Long Island, a J.C. Penney store was on the chopping block, before the retailer altered its plans, saving 136 employees.In addition to the worries about foot traffic, mall operators have to implement state-mandated safety measures, including new air filtration systems that can filter out Covid-19 particles, as well as social distancing rules and mask requirements.Some shopping centers are implementing additional safety measures: Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield, which operates the Westfield World Trade Center, has focused on enhancing outdoor dining, virtual line queuing and curbside pickup.Contact Sasha Jones Message* Email Address* This content is for subscribers only.Subscribe Nowlast_img read more

Rinks ordered to close for new reservations for two weeks after outbreak

first_imgVermont Business Magazine Following the decision by the State of New Hampshire to close indoor skating facilities for two weeks, Governor Phil Scott today issued an executive order(link is external) prohibiting Vermont’s skating rinks from accepting new reservation for use of their facilities beginning today, October 16, at 5 pm, through midnight on October 30, 2020. Governor Scott said the directive is intended to prevent an influx of new users from high risk areas into Vermont’s ice rinks.“As of today, New Hampshire’s skating facilities were closed by their governor for two weeks in response to outbreaks that have resulted in 158 cases of COVID-19 among 23 different ice hockey teams,” Governor Scott said.  “In addition, there is an outbreak in central Vermont that may be connected to the outbreaks in New Hampshire. To reduce the risk to Vermonters, and to help sustain the progress we have made, rinks in Vermont may not take any additional reservations for the next two weeks.”Rinks may allow their currently scheduled operations over this two-week period, provided all other existing health and safety guidance is fully implemented. Governor Scott’s executive order also directs the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, in consultation with the Vermont Department of Health and the Agency of Natural Resources, to review current recreation guidance to determine if a more aggressive response is needed to prevent further spread of COVID-19 related to activities in indoor skating, hockey and other recreational facilities. Pop-up testing site will be open in Barre on SaturdayThe Vermont Department of Health on Tuesday first reported the outbreak of COVID-19 cases among members of youth and adult recreational hockey and Broomball teams in central Vermont. The outbreak is associated with people who practiced or played at the Central Vermont Memorial Civic Center in Montpelier earlier this month. Health officials said there has been no community spread of the virus beyond close contacts at this time.As of Friday, the Health Department has identified 18 confirmed cases among players and several close contacts.Most of the cases identified so far are among adults. The Health Department has informed schools if any cases were in attendance while they were infectious.The department’s contact tracing team has been reaching out to anyone who may have been affected, and is providing appropriate guidance and recommendations for isolation, quarantine and testing. Vermonters are asked to please answer the phone if called by the department. This is how you will learn of any risk to your health – and is the most effective way to contain outbreaks from spreading in the community.A pop-up test clinic will be held this Saturday, October 17, at the Barre Auditorium from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Testing is recommended for people with direct links to the teams, the Civic Center and their close contacts. Testing is not recommended for the wider Montpelier community in response to this situation. People can register for the pop-up clinic at healthvermont.gov/covid19-testing(link is external).The investigation began last week as part of the department’s standard outreach following receipt of positive COVID-19 laboratory test results.Health Commissioner Mark Levine, MD expressed appreciation for the cooperation the department has received from the players, the leagues and officials at the Civic Center. Dr. Levine asked Vermonters to remember the core actions that help protect against exposure to the virus and to preventing its spread — wear a mask, keep a 6-foot distance from others, avoid crowded spaces, wash hands frequently and stay home when sick.For more information about COVID-19, including symptoms, testing and prevention, visit healthvermont.gov/covid19(link is external).Source: Montpelier, Vt. – Governor 10.16.2020last_img read more

Study suggests that excessive self-presentation on Instagram can backfire

first_imgNew research provides evidence that how people present themselves on Instagram can influence how many “likes” they receive. The study, published in Computers in Human Behavior, found that the use of color-changing filters and stickers tended to negatively impact feedback on selfies.“Self-presentation is an inevitable topic these days as everyone is using social media. The majority of them use it to seek for attention from other people while they are uploading positive contents to receive more likes,” said study author Seoyeon Hong, an assistant professor at the department of public relations and advertising at Rowan University.“I find this phenomenon very interesting and wanted to test if their efforts to receive more ‘likes’ is actually working. In my study’s case, those ‘efforts’ were operationalized as using photo filters and applying social cue information.” Hong and her colleagues gathered and systematically analyzed 1,873 selfies publicly posted on Instagram. About 9 out of 10 selfies were from a female user.After dividing each photo’s likes by the user’s number of followers, the researchers found that selfies using filters tended to have fewer likes compared to selfies without any filters. On the other hand, selfies taken showing social cues, such as luxury goods, having a fitness center as the background, or displays of one’s professional identity, tended to have more likes.“The most interesting part of this paper is that excessive self-presentation can backfire. No matter how you try to get more likes, if your efforts seem too obvious, then there is less likelihood for you to get likes. For the social cues (e.g., luxurious bag and fancy occupation), it turns out to be effective while sticker filters are not,” Hong told PsyPost. “This suggests that tangible information could provide a certain level of trustworthiness, which leads to a higher number of likes. On the other hand, sticker filters are perceived as ‘distorting’ the actual self.”“Even though sticker filters are proven to be negatively impacting on the number of likes, there are always exceptions. My other study tested if excessive self-presentation is acceptable for influencers (who have many followers or are highly attractive) and the results showed that influencers are the exceptions. Instagram users did not find it annoying if excessive self-presentation was displayed by the influencers,” Hong added. The study, “Do you filter who you are? : Excessive self-presentation, social cues, and user evaluations of Instagram selfies“, was authored by Seoyeon Hong, Rosie M. Jahng, Namyeon Lee, and Kevin R. Wise. Share LinkedIn Share on Facebookcenter_img Email Share on Twitter Pinterestlast_img read more

Unequal opportunities

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Shooting leaves three wounded

first_imgThree men were wounded in a shooting in Vygieskraal on Friday.According to Athlone SAPS spokeswoman, Sergeant Zita Norman, two men approached a 21-year-old man on the corner of Canal and Veld roads at about 7am.The men shot the 21-year-old in the left arm as he fled.Two men, aged 66 and 67, were caught in the crossfire; one was hit in his right leg, the other in his left foot.The shooters are still at large. Anyone with information can call Athlone police at 021 697 9238/39. Lloyd Dune Simbarashe, 43, was sentenced, in the Western Cape High Court on Monday March 14, to life in prison for the murder of Nikitha Lewis, 24, Ms Lewis was stabbed multiple times by her estranged boyfriend while at a shop with her children, close to the Saartjie Baartman Centre, on Friday October 9 2015. Simbarashe continued to stab Ms Lewis in the back as she ran for cover and in full view of the public.Leaving her body in the shop covered in blood, he tried to flee, but the shop owner closed the doors and held him inside until the police arrived.last_img read more

Japan wraps it up

first_img GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES Japan’s Saori Obata defeated Hong Kong’s Lee Si-nga Friday as the host nation improved to 4-0 at the Fed Cup Asia-Oceania zone qualifying tournament.Obata cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Lee at Ariake Tennis Park while compatriot Shinobu Asagoe defeated Lam Po-ken 6-1, 6-1 in Friday’s other singles match between the two Group One contestants. Japan wrapped up first place in Pool A and will play the second place team in Group B on Saturday with a ticket to the Fed Cup World Group playoffs in July on the line. center_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5last_img read more